Fungal infections of the skin is a common disorder in the environment. A Fungus is a single-celled or multicellular organism. Fungal pathogens are divided into two categories:
True or primary fungal pathogens – which cause infections in healthy persons.
Opportunistic pathogens – which cause infections in the immunocompromised host.
Skin fungus is highly contagious which can be easily transmitted from one person to another on contact. It is tough to treat because it may spread on the full body which causes other complicated problems. An outer layer of the skin is mainly made up of dead skin cells (keratinocytes) which serves as a barrier to the outside environment. But when it is damaged, it results in infection.
The fungus grows mostly in warm and moist areas of the body and it is more common during summer and winter season. It appears anywhere on the body and results in darkening or redness of the skin, loss of color, peeling, rashes or small bumps, itching and creates circular patches.
Symptoms of fungal/yeast infections
- Flaking, peeling or cracking skin
- Redness, blisters
- Softening and breaking down of the skin
- Deformed toenail
- Vaginal discharge
Here are some popular home remedies to treat yeast/fungal infections
Before starting any treatment, make sure your skin is clean and dry.
1. Natural Yogurt
Yogurt contains a good bacteria named Lactobacillus which usually lives in your urinary tract, vaginal area and digestive system without causing any problems. Lactobacillus in yogurt helps to restore healthy yeast balance in the vagina. It prevents from fungal infections naturally.
- Applying cold yogurt soothes itching or burning sensations.
- Add plain yogurt daily in your diet until infection gets clear.
- Dip a tampon in yogurt and insert in the vagina for 2 hours to treat vaginal infections.
- Dip cotton in plain yogurt and apply it on the infected skin area and leave it for 30 minutes. Then rinse with warm water.
2. Coconut Oil
According to a study published in the US National Library of Medicine, coconut oil works effectively for all fungal infections. The presence of medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil will destroy the infection when you apply it on the infected area. Fatty acids help to kill the fungi which cause infection.
- Apply coconut oil on the infected skin and rub it gently.
- Also, you can mix an equal amount of coconut oil with cinnamon oil and apply this mixture on the affected skin part.
- In case of vaginal infection, soak a tampon in the coconut oil and insert it in the vagina and leave it for 2 hours. Wash with lukewarm water after removing the tampon.
Garlic has anti-bacterial properties which is an excellent remedy for skin infections and speeds up your recovery.
- Eat few garlic cloves to speed up the healing process.
- To make a paste, crush two garlic cloves and add little drops of olive oil into it. Apply this paste to the infected area and leave it for half an hour.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for treating fungal infections. It works excellent at killing the bacterial, fungal as well as viral growth on the skin.
- If you have athlete foot infection, soak your feet in warm water and pour few drops of apple cider vinegar into it. Keep it for 30 minutes.
- Take 1 cup of warm water and add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into it. Have this drink twice a day.