Dry hair with an oily scalp is a significant problem among many men and women. People who have dry hair with an oily scalp will mainly suffer from greasy roots and split ends.
An oily scalp results from the excess production of sebum (natural oil produced by the skin). It is a problematic condition which causes greasy hair, split ends, dandruff, hair loss, scalp acne and skin disorder. The leading causes of an overproduction of sebum are due to unhealthy eating habits, improper hair care or medications.
Causes of oily scalp
Below are some of the common resaons for an oily scalp.
- Improper health care
- Environmental factors like dry air, hot and humid climates
- Increased DHT
- Excessive lipid
- Physiology of women changes – during pregnancy or menstruation
Common symptoms of an oily scalp
- More hair loss
- Dandruff scalp
- Hair sticking to scalp
- Always gives a wet look
- Scalp acne and whitehead acne
- Dirt on your recently washed hair and scalp
It is easy to overcome this problem when you take good care of your scalp and hair. It is essential to do the below things to treat an oily scalp and dry roots.
- Identify the right shampoo for your hair and scalp
- Choosing right conditioner
- Regular hair washing
- Combing or brushing your hair when it is dry
- Gentle scalp massage
Natural home remedies for an oily scalp
1. Apple Cider Vinegar(ACV)
ACV is high in acetic acid which an effective home remedy for an oily scalp. It has mild detergent which help to remove dirt on the both hair and scalp. Acetic acid in ACV inhibits sebum production on the scalp.
- Mix 2 – 3 tablespoons of ACV in a cup of water and rinse your hair and scalp with this solution.
2. Baking soda
The alkaline present in baking soda helps in balancing the pH of your scalp and absorbs excess oil and removes impurities. Use baking soda once in a week to treat oily scalp.
- Sprinkle baking soda on your scalp and hair and brush it with a comb.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda to 1 tablespoon of shampoo. Wash your hair and scalp with this mixture then you will feel smooth, shiny and clean hair. It will not cause any damage to your hair.
3. Beer Rinse
Malt and hops are the two main ingredients in the beer. Proteins in the beer revitalize your dried out roots and help you to get rid of the oily scalp problem. Alcohol in the beer works well for greasy hair.
- To get quick remedy, mix half cut of beer with an equal quantity of water. Wash your hair with this solution.
- Beer shampoos are beneficial for an oily scalp and help to reduce sebum on the scalp.
- Perform head massage with beer for 5 – 10 minutes and then rinse with water.
4. Aloe Vera
It is a best known remedy for treating oily scalp. An enzymes presents in aloe vera promotes hair growth also remove dead skin cells in the scalp.
- Grind the aloe vera extract and apply to your scalp and massage gently. Leave for 30 minutes and rinse with cold water.
- Also, you can mix lemon juice while grinding aloe vera.
5. Green tea
The Polyphenols in green tea helps in controlling sebum secretion.
- Add half a cup of green tea to 1 cup of water. Allow it to boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain and cool it down.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and hair and leave it for about 30 minutes. Then rinse it off.