Nose and ears are the two main organs in our body. Ears, nose, and throat have a connection between them which all three works together to keep us going. The tube known as Eustachian connects the middle ear and the throat. When any one of these organs gets infected, it discomforts the other two.
A sore throat is a condition marked by pain in the throat, typically caused by inflammation due to cold, bacteria or other virus/flu. It is unbearable and restricts our daily activities. Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the throat and tonsils which will make your throat feel sore and scratchy. It is highly contagious and caused by Streptococcal bacteria.
Earache is an ear infection which is caused by a bacterial or viral infection in the middle ear. It usually causes swelling, fluid buildup, and irritation inside your ear which results in pain. You will have earache problem when you have strep throat.
Causes of a sore throat and ear pain
Below are the factors which may cause a sore throat and earache:
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Taking very hot or cold foods
- Swollen glands
- Sinus infections
- Microbial infections
- A Cough, cold and flu
- Ear infections
- Hay fever
Symptoms of a sore throat and earache
- Difficult to swallow
- Swollen glands & lymph nodes
- Red throat
- Rash on tonsils
- Stiffness in the back and neck
- Blood tinged saliva
Home remedies for sore throat and ear pain
Below are the few solutions to treat a sore throat and ear pain naturally at home.
Salt water gargling is the well-known home remedy which helps to get rid of a sore throat. Gargling helps in relieving throat pain associated with respiratory infections. For severe aches, gargle for every 15 minutes by adding apple cider vinegar or pepper to the water.
2. Hot shower
Taking a hot shower can provide some relief. Steam makes you breathe easy and helps to reduce swelling and ease the sore throat pain.
- To get a quick recovery, drape the towel over your head and add few drops of eucalyptus oil into the boiled water and inhale the rising steam fully.
3. Herbal tea
Prepare a herbal tea at home to get relief from a sore throat and ear pain.
- Green tea
- Ginger tea
- Licorice root tea
- Chamomile tea
- Mint tea
The above mentioned are the best teas to drink for a sore throat.
Garlic is a natural home remedy to kick off throat pain. Garlic helps to kill the bacteria which cause strep and fight the germs causing irritation and pain.
- Garlic soups help to heal a sore throat.
- To get relief from ear pain, crush two cloves of garlic and heat it with two tablespoons of sesame oil. Allow it to cool. Then apply a few drops in one ear and on another ear after 10 minutes.
5. Hot liquids
It soothes a soreness in your throat. Even you can drink plain warm water, hot lemon tea or honey tea.
It is a traditional Chinese medicine which is often used to ease the pain in the mouth and the throat. It was also used as an anesthetic at one time. Clove contains a substance called eugenol which is a natural pain killer and also holds an anti-bacterial agent.
- Mix 1 – 3 tablespoons of powdered cloves in a glass of warm water and gargle.
- Place a few cloves in the back of your mouth and keep it until it becomes soft. Then bite it a few times to release eugenol. It helps to heal a sore throat.