Besides bones and muscles, the area around your neck and shoulder contains many ligaments, nerves, veins and other supporting structures. When any of these parts get affected, there will be possibilities for neck pain or shoulder pain.
- Instability or impingement of the soft tissue or bone structures in your shoulder results in pain, and you will feel it, only when you move your shoulder. Because of the repetitive, intensive routines, your shoulder pain can develop over time.
The shoulder and neck pain can be quiet discomforting. Knowing about the causes and symptoms helps to treat it quickly.
This article explains the common causes, symptoms of shoulder pain and some general tips to treat minor shoulder pain at home.
What causes pain in the neck and shoulders?
- Injury in the neck and shoulder area
- The spinal problem, such as degenerative spine discs
- Fractures in the shoulder bone or collarbone
- Frozen shoulder
- Pinched nerves
- Whiplash caused by a sudden jerk or movement
Symptoms of shoulder pain
- Inability to move shoulder freely
- Muscle spasm
- Numbness or tingling
- Shoulder or arm weakness
- Shoulder stiffness
- Visible deformity
Home remedies to relieve shoulder pain fast
1. Cold Compress
Inflammation of the tendons mostly causes shoulder pain. Putting ice/cold compress brings relief by slowing down blood flow to the area.
- Put some ice cubes in a plastic bag and wrap it with a thin towel. Then apply it to your hurt shoulder for 20 minutes and repeat it 2 – 3 times a day to get relief.
- Also, you can soak a towel in cold water to relax the sore muscles.
Caution* Do not apply ice cubes directly on your skin as it may cause skin damage.
2. Hot water treatment
Hot water compress helps to treat inflammation and swelling.
- Fill a hot water bag and keep it on the aching shoulder.
- You can also use a heating pad to warm your shoulder.
- Take a hot water bath for 5 – 10 minutes daily and try to stand still for this duration. To get better results, do it twice daily.
Caution* Do not use hot compresses in the first week after an injury because it will increase swelling in the affected area and worsen your pain.
It is another good way to reduce your should pain. A gentle massage helps you to relieve stress and tension. It will also improve blood circulation, reduce swelling and stiffness.
- Massage you shoulder either with olive oil, garlic oil, Lavender oil, coconut oil, sesame or mustard oil.
- Warm the oil slightly and apply it on the affected area. Then massage it for ten minutes to relieve the pain and stress.
Mint helps to reduce the burning sensation in your hurt shoulder. It acts as a cooling agent which helps to soothe the pain.
- To make a paste with mint leaves, take a handful of mint leaves, crush them and pour some water into it.
- Apply this past on the affected part to soothe the pain.
Here we listed some do’s and don’ts to get quick relief from shoulder pain.
- While sleeping, put a pillow below your neck. It helps you to prevent further pain and swelling.
- Correct sitting and standing posture helps to heal the pain quickly.
- Apply some pain relief gel on your hurt shoulder.
- Have hot lemon water drink twice a day to prevent arthritis.
- Drinking plenty of water helps to keep your body hydrated.
- Take appropriate rest.
- Quit smoking and alcohol drinking.
- Avoid sitting in and standing in the same posture for a long duration.
- Avoid intense exercise regime.
Note: Consult a Doctor if the problem persists.